Wellings Blog: The Beet Goes On
Crisp fall days are here and we think of harvest time, apple picking, gathering beets & carrots, pumpkin pies. Cooler temperatures, fresh breezes and plenty of leaves crunching beneath our feet as we walk around the Wellings trails. At this time of year we feel like eating preserves, beets, carrots and vegetables we’ve harvested from the garden.
To keep your cupboards stocked up for the coming months think of preserves. A few chutneys, some pickles will add the right amount of warmth and crunch to your meals.
- 1. An easy beet hummus dip is a great colourful snack on the go.
- 2. Sprinkle with handful of nuts / pumpkin seeds, raisins
- 3. Crisp veggies (think colour: cucumber slices, red pepper, carrot sticks, green pea pods), breadsticks and crackers make good dippers and available in gluten free, flavours and colours.
- 4. A super easy nutritious snack to enjoy with friends. Extras maybe frozen for future get togethers with friends at the Wellings.
Beet Hummus Dip
- 1 lb (450 g) beets, about 3 medium sized, peeled and diced
- 1 – 15 oz (425 g) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) tahini
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cumin
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- Soft goat cheese (optional)
Steam or roast beets until tender and then let cool. Add cooled beets to food processor along with chickpeas, tahini, cumin, lemon, garlic, and salt. Purée until smooth.
Place beet hummus in serving bowl and garnish with crumbled goat cheese if desired. Serves 8.
Each serving contains: 110 calories; 4g protein, 3g total fat (0g sat. fat, 0g trans fat); 18g total carbohydrates (4g sugars, 4g fibre); 347mg sodium
Recipe credit: Alive Magazine, Matthew Kadey, MSc, RD
If you have fall favorites that are an easy prep and taste great share them with us, and we will let our community know!