“Living well, starts when you start your day” – here’s a few tips on how to boost your goodness intake and shine from the inside out…
Why is it important to get started with a decent breakfast?
- “Breaking the fast” the first meal of the day after you’ve had a good night’s sleep.
- Many seniors like quick and easy starts to the day.
- Many are on the go with tea and toast.
Is there a better way to eat a tea and toast style breakfast?
- Try adding a teaspoon of unflavoured collagen, great for your bones, skin, hair and nail growth.
- Choose a hot cup of bone broth over a hot cup of tea. It has nutrients your body needs like collagen and essential vitamins and minerals, electrolytes and is warming first thing in the morning. Chicken bone broth, Beef bone broth or Vegetable bone broth are great choices.
- Ginger and Lemon Tea as a warm alternative, it’s great for digestion and ginger warms the body, internal organs, also calming for an upset stomach.
- Add a protein and some nutrients to your toast, some spreadable cream cheese, peanut butter, avocado and try some nut butters such as almond, pumpkin, tahini, egg salad, salmon, spreadable proteins to give you energy. If you want to add good fats to your diet, add butter or spread coconut oil.
- If you are taking medications and the practitioner suggests they be taken with food, tea & toast won’t be enough. This is often the reason why your stomach feels upset, you may lack concentration, or experience brain fog, a feeling of malaise.
- You’ll need to add sea salt to your diet. A pinch in a glass of water first thing in the morning and sipping throughout the day will keep you hydrated and the sea salt contains minerals your body needs. Also, sea salt helps you absorb the water and lessens the need to urinate as often.
Want to turn it up a notch?
Overnight oats are a great way to have breakfast and a good solution for those busy people on the go. As you head out the door to an appointment, to your golf game, to a meetup, or your next adventure.
Grab this Overnight Oats Jar from your fridge & bring a spoon.
Here’s the easy recipe:
- Start by using a 500ml mason jar
- Add ½ cup of quick oats (we like Only Oats because they are gluten-free)
- A pinch of sea salt
- A pinch of cinnamon
- *A scoop of your favourite protein powder (we like IronVegan vanilla sprouted protein because it has 17g of protein, 3 g fibre, 4g carbohydrates, 0g sugar).
- Then add your favourite liquid to fill the jar.
- We suggest 1 ½ cups of unsweetened Almond Milk and ¼ cup of unsweetened coconut milk or use any combination you choose: Such as milk, almond milk, coconut milk or soya milk.
Leave some room to add berries, a teaspoon of maple syrup a few nuts, pumpkin seeds & chia seeds the next morning. Or if you have a sweet tooth add a few nibs of dark chocolate.
Note*If you don’t have protein powder you can make a substitution and use ½ cup of Yogurt in the morning & stir.
The next morning grab your Overnight Oats and a spoon and head out the door. This delicious nutritious breakfast will keep you feeling full, fueled and energized as you begin your day.
Susan Stephen is the Vice President of Living Science Wellness Centre located in Stittsville. A Mind Body Spirit & Business Coach, UFH Unity Field Healing Practitioner, Relational Clearing Practitioner and a Business Transformation Advisor. To connect with Susan and her team: https://livingscience.ca/